Lamart is a wide web, custom coater and laminator of flexible substrates. Founded in 1956 to design and manufacture laminated rolled goods that were not readily available and to this day, we pride ourselves on being a unique adhesive partner for the aerospace, optical, graphic arts, industrial, medical devices and automotive industries. We also develop and provide innovative converting and packaging solutions for our partners.
We are seeking a self-directed, hands-on Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer who will assist in developing, implementing and improving existing manufacturing processes. The candidate selected will provide engineering support to new product and process introductions, manage projects and provide support to both internal and external customers.
The primary responsibility of the Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer is to deploy new Packaging technologies and improve the efficiency, safety, and quality of the Packaging designs and the Packaging, Coating, and Converting equipment, materials, and process in the Production Department. The Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer’s primary focus will be working with our Packaging team on new and existing products while using their experience and capabilities to drive continuous improvement, troubleshoot problems, and implement new controls and technologies throughout the manufacturing organization.
- Serve as an effective team member in assessing and improving current packaging operations, implementing and introducing new technologies, and providing recommendations for retrofits and new equipment
- Work with Packaging operations and suppliers to troubleshoot packaging issues, maintain packaging quality, and optimize packing line efficiencies
- Develop and improve procedures and instructions to minimize packing line setup and changeover time/cost.
- Demonstrate strong troubleshooting skills through the use of continuous improvement techniques
- Show thorough understanding of the interactions between machine, materials, methods, environment, and people to provide robust operating systems
- Develop/maintain material balances and unit operation capability information to ensure optimal production rates, parameters, and formula
- Provide key technical support in capital projects and new product and packaging material testing/start-ups
- Minimize packaging material scrap, product scrap and product giveaway
- Ensures safety aspects of the equipment meets specifications and requirements to assure employees’ safe working conditions
- Conduct capacity studies, enhance system reliability, and identify/implement productivity improvements including new technologies
- Serve as a technical liaison for all levels of the company including production/maintenance employees, plant technical and management resources, corporate engineering and R&D organizations
- Develop/deliver technical training for various levels of the organization and serve as a resource in cross-functional platform/technology/product teams
- Develop project budgets, schedules, and prepare project justification and develop capital requests as needed, including monthly forecast project spending plan
- Provide packaging operations with technical equipment expertise, standard procedures for operation, change-over and maintenance of packaging equipment, selection of new packaging equipment, equipment improvement, upgrades and documentation, operator and maintenance training and support
- Oversee the packaging reliability program
Work Experience Requirements
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in Packaging improvement projects and working with packaging lines design and install
- Previous job experience in high-speed packaging
- A demonstrated ability to select and apply sound engineering practices and principles to the design and development of high-volume consumer products packaging
- Strong background and proven results in Leading Continuous Improvement efforts through the application of Lean Manufacturing Activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a concentration in Packaging Science, Mechanical, Electrical, or related engineering field from an accredited university
Essential Capabilities (knowledge, Skills, Abilities And Personal Attributes)
- Recognized technical abilities and practical experience with strong capabilities in the following areas:
- Theory/functionality of manufacturing systems and unit operations;
- Continuous improvement;
- Controls and electrical aptitude;
- Statistics and analytical methods;
- Process measurement and control;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to understand and apply general engineering principles
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with overlapping tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, develops solutions, and quickly implements their strategy
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues
- Proficient skills specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook are required
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
Lamart offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(K) plan, life insurance, health savings account and paid time off. There are no relocation benefits available for this position.